Kona Beer Settlement - Claim by 10/07/19 Get Up to $20

Kona Beer Settlement – Claim by 10/07/19 Get Up to $10 without receipt, $20 with

Kona Beer Settlement

Kona Beer Settlement – Claim by 10/07/19

There’s currently an Kona Beer Settlement of which you may be entitled to a portion. So, If you purchased any of these covered products between 2/28/13 and 06/14/19 (not for resale) then you have money coming. This settlement covers 4pks through 24 packs (no singles) so some of our readers may qualify to receive some cash from this settlement. You can submit a claim  by 10/7/19 to be eligible for the Kona Beer Settlement. (see the actual Notice here)

Keep up with any other class action lawsuit we post about Be sure to keep up with the products you normally buy!

For this Kona Beer Settlement, products that may be included on a valid Claim Form: if you purchased any 4-pack, 6-pack, 12-pack, or 24-pack variety of Kona Beer from February 28, 2013 through June 14, 2019.

Included in the Kona Beer Settlement…

Eligible varieties of Kona Beers include Longboard Island Lager, Hanalei IPA, Castaway IPA,
Big Wave Golden Ale, Lemongrass Luau, Wailua Wheat, Fire Rock Pale Ale, Pipeline Porter,
Lavaman Red Ale, Koko Brown Ale, Kua Bay IPA, Gold Cliff IPA, Kanaha Blonde Ale, Liquid
Aloha Variety Pack, Island Hopper Variety Pack, Happy Mahalo Variety Pack, and Wave Rider
Tandem Pack. Kona Beers that are sold without packaging (i.e., loose bottles, loose cans, and
draft beer) are not included.

Again, Eligible class members will receive up to $10 without proof of purchase. If you do have proof of purchases/receipts, you may receive up to $20. I believe they will pay the actual cost shown on your total receipts. Only one claim can be submitted per household though, so be sure to submit accurately. You can submit a claim in the Kona Beer Settlement by downloading a form and sending snail mail or by electronic submission

Also, you can review the FAQ page about the Kona Beer lawsuit settlement. For additional questions about the Kona Settlement or claim form, please contact the Settlement Administrator via email: [email protected] or call toll-free at 1-888-332-0551. Then, at the end of your electronic submission, you will be given a case number. Print out the claim and be sure to use your specific case number if you need to communicate with the administrator.

 Also, please remember this can take quite a while after the submission deadline. Then again, it’s free money so it’s worth the wait!  Also, did you know we send out free shopping bags and other free stuff to some of our readers/fans?