Don’t Miss the Free Reusable Bag! Celebrate Earth Day 2014 with the Simple Things!
Spring has sprung, and what better way to welcome its arrival than by giving back to our planet? April 22nd is Earth Day and to celebrate Earth Day 2014, Publix and General Mills have provided a number of great savings in the Publix “Happy Easter” green grocery flyer (4/12 – 5/2). Included in the sale flyer is a coupon for a FREE reusable bag when you buy any 3 Cascadian Farm 7.1-14.6 oz or Muir Glen 14-18 oz or Larabar 5 ct. If you’re a fan of any of these organic brands then be sure to take advantage of the free bag you can use as a first step in doing something simple to help our earth.
In addition to the coupon for the reusable bag, here are some of the Earth Day savings found in the flyer valid through 5/2/14:
- $2 off 2 Cascadian Farm Frozen Organic Fruit, Vegetables or Potatoes 8-16 oz. Publix coupon
- $2 off 2 Muir Glen Tomatoes 28 oz or Pasta Sauca 25.5 oz Publix coupon
- Cascadian Farm Cereal or bars on sale for $2.99 each (7.1 – 14.6 oz)
- Larabar Multi-Pack (5 ct) on sale $4.99
Plus there are some printable manufacturer coupons you may be interested in if you’re a fan of these brands:
- $0.75/1 Cascadian Farm Products
- $0.75/3 Larabars (clipped)
- $0.75/3 Larabars
- $0.85/3 Larabar, Uber, Alt, Or Jocalat Bars, Any Flavor/Variety
What is Earth Day?
The April 22nd Earth Day was founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson. It was organized in 1970 to promote ecology and to encourage awareness of the growing problems of air, water and soil pollution. Many people and groups celebrate by planting trees, organizing conservation petitions, picking up roadside trash, and other environmental friendly outdoor activities. Those of us not involved in these larger structured activities can still make a big difference!
How can you help?
You can celebrate Earth Day 2014 by pledging to make any number of small lifestyle changes! Here are some ideas:
- Use reusable shopping bags whether you’re shopping for clothes, groceries, or trinkets
- Throw cans, newspapers, plastics, junk mail into a recycle bin instead of the garbage
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth
- Turn off lights when you’re leaving a room
- Unplug appliances when not using them
- Check the air in your tires. Underinflated tires not only increase the wear but also decrease fuel economy leading to increased pollution
- If deciding between two products to purchase, pick the one with the least packaging
- Filter your tap water to drink instead of buying bottled water
- Tend to faucet leaks or running toilets quickly
- If buying a new appliance, look for Energy Star products
- Clean your dryer filter after every load
- Change your home air filters regularly
My husband and I try to use reuseable shopping bags every time we shop, but occasionally we forget to bring them along. My newest solution is to keep a few in the car now for just those forgetful occasions. We will also be delivering the plastic bags we do have back to the grocery store for recycling. Most stores now have recycle bins for the used disposable bags. If you don’t see them, ask about this at the customer service desk!
We’d love to hear about how you will celebrate Earth Day 2014. What big or small changes will you try to make to help?
Disclosure: The information and prize pack have been provided by General Mills through Platefull Co-Op.